It’s that time of the month again! You’re hot, hormonal, and hungry, and all you want is a trusty tampon so you can go about your daily business feeling fresh and clean while on your period. Many women prefer to use tampons instead of pads, but don’t like the mess of inserting a tampon.
So how do you solve it? Just use a tampon applicator! Depending on your steeze, some are more environmentally friendly than others, keep reading to learn about different options!
What is a Tampon Applicator?
The tampon applicator sounds exactly like it’s name – an applicator that helps you insert your tampon.
It takes away some of the mess that’s involved with inserting a tampon and is a safe and popular way to manage your period. If you’ve never heard of a tampon applicator or you’ve never tried one, but think they sound like something you’d be interested in, then we have you covered!
What Types of Tampon Applicators Are There?
There’s more than one? You bet! There are different types of tampon applicators that cater for all women during their periods. Tampon selection is a choice, and they come in the form of several different applicators to make managing your period a hell of a lot easier.
Cardboard Tampon Applicators
The cardboard tampon applicator is one of the first applicators to be invented and is an applicator that is made out of fine cardboard that helps you insert your tampon. Here at Ellebox, we offer cardboard applicators that are rounded for easier insertion and are 100% biodegradable, non threatening to your body and the planet.
Plastic Tampon Applicators
Plastic tampon applicators are the most popular amongst women. Same thing as the cardboard applicator, but this one is made out of plastic. A lot of women prefer the plastic tampon applicator as they feel they have more control over where it goes. Cotton tampons with plastic applicators are most popular. At Ellebox, we have plastic applicators that are BPA free and are made of 90% sugar-cane and 10% plastic.
TLDR. If you buy an Ellebox, we both have cardboard and environmentally friendly “plastic” applicators!
Reusable Tampon Applicators
Umm, is that sanitary? Yes, absolutely. This is also another popular option amongst women. Reusable tampon applicators are usually plastic and can be reused over a certain period of time when you are experiencing your monthly period. Reusable tampon applicators are great for the environment, and can be easily washed and sterilised for later use with warm water.
How to Use a Tampon Applicator
Using a tampon applicator is super easy! First things first, you need to decide whether you’re going to go with a cardboard, plastic, or reusable tampon applicator.
If you think that a tampon applicator is right for you, then let’s take a look at how to insert a tampon applicator.
- Wash your hands: You are still traveling down to your vagina so it’s best that you have nice clean hands around the area.
- Just relax: Inserting a tampon at the best of times can feel uncomfortable! You can relax your vagina tightening your pelvic muscle for three seconds, then slowly releasing it and relaxing the muscle.
- Get yourself into a comfortable position: The best positions to be in when inserting a tampon applicator is to place one leg on the toilet seat, stand with your legs shoulder-width apart and bend your knees, or sit on the toilet with your legs spread wide apart.
- Now, unwrap the tampon applicator: Use your non-writing hand to pull back the folds that cover the vagina. With your dominant hand, take your middle finger and your thumb and grip the applicator. Place your index finger at the end of the plunger on the applicator.
- Positioning: Position the applicator so it is at the entrance of your vagina and push it into your vagina. This may sound uncomfortable but the more you relax the easier it will be.
- Once the applicator is inside, push down on the plunger (where your index finger is placed). This will insert the tampon into the correct place.
- Gently pull out the applicator: You should have a tampon firmly inserted in your vagina and the string of the tampon hanging out.
And that’s it! Of course, make sure you still wash your hands after the process.
How to Insert a Tampon Without an Applicator
Many women aren’t fans of the applicators and would prefer to have more control over inserting their tampons into the vagina. Not only this, but the environment benefits from non-applicator tampons as it will prevent thousands of applicators going into landfills.
Is this more unsanitary? No way! Once upon an age, there was a time when women had applicator-less tampons, and this method of inserting tampons is still widely used amongst women today.
If you’ve always had a helping hand, then you may be wondering – how do I insert a tampon without an applicator? The answer to that is easy. Let us walk you through how to put a tampon in without an applicator so you have another option to tackle your monthly periods.
- First of all, wash those hands!
- Unwrap the tampon and get yourself comfortable: Remember those positions we talked about above? You can use those positions for inserting the tampon yourself also.
- With your non-writing hand, pull back the folds around your vagina. With your dominant hand, hold the middle of the tampon, and place your index finger at the base where the string is.
- Remember, relax. Gently push the tampon into the base of your vagina. Not sure how hard to push or for how long? Aim for the small of your back.
- Using your index finger, push the tampon all the way up into your vagina.
- Wash your hands after you finish.
Now you can check ‘how to use a tampon without an applicator’ off your list! It’s as easy as using an applicator, but more environmentally friendly.
Tampon applicators are a great little investment to make managing your periods easier. Feel clean and fresh with no hassle!
And don’t forget to subscribe to Ellebox today. Get started for as little as $10.99/month.